Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Name That Run !!


Extra points...name that skier...hint: too conservative, too many turns and not all that fast....

It's been too long since I've been to Pebble Creek, a gem of a ski area that we locals don't say much about, because quite frankly we don't want you to show up. 2,200 vertical on ~ 1,000 acres makes for some very sweet runs. All the advertisements say there are trails for everyone. I'm sorry, they are wrong. There's the bunny hill and then there is everything else, at least that is my opinion. You need some descent plank skills to ski here AND enjoy it. But I think everyone should try it once.

Today was a hooky day from work and in nearly spring conditions I had great runs with a work friend. It was supposed to be friends, but the other two bailed...and while I respect their decision to be responsible professionals, I am sorry for them both, for it was truly a great afternoon. Little to no wind, few to any people, good snow conditions, great views of the snow covered valley, comfy temps and enough sun shining through to get an "I've been out skiing" glow.

Things that have changed since i was there last: most all the blue runs have been re-rated to black diamonds (yipee!), the lodge is remodeled (that'll date me), there is a fancy ramp system to keep you from careening into a lodge window (gosh it was so much better with the occasional run-away snowboard shattering the glass), and because there were no wine cups upstairs I was graciously over, over, poured on my apres-ski merlot. I was set up with really sweet demos from John at Scott's for the day, which have totally ruined me and makes my current skis nothing less than anchors to me and hazards to others.

Days like today remind me why I live here, why I commute 100 mi a day to stay here, and why it's hard for me to picture ever leaving. I am blessed by getting to live here and by being surrounded with wonderful people who don't mind hanging out with me. It has been too long since I've been to Pebble Creek. It won't be that long again. Ski On!

Answer to Name That Run?

Videos by Sapphire

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome post and amazing ski conditions. Glad you had a great day and sorry I missed out. Very likely would have made it up in the afternoon, but my mom and sister came up from Ogden. Left work a little early anyway to help ma create her first photo book on the internet. So I guess we ended the day with two happy skiers and one ma... My day was pretty good too! Thanks for the post. -JC